I have a LifeCam Studio webcam and recently installed Windows 10. It’s been a few months now and I’m noticing an issue with the LifeCam Studio software. When I go to setup the software the application asks me to connect my webcam. I run the setup software and after it loads and the software loads the software then asks me to connect my webcam. The software then starts working. But shortly after this the software has a black screen. I can only see the bottom of the program. I then have to restart the software and then I can use the webcam again. My question is. Is this normal? I have checked on the Microsoft website for this software and it says that the software now supports Windows 10. Is this correct? Are there
The LifeCam Studio webcam not working in Windows 10 is a common problem that many people are going to encounter. This is mainly because the LifeCam Studio webcam is one of the most basic webcams for free. People often buy this webcam thinking that this would be enough to have a good webcams experience. However, this is not true.
For some reason, my LifeCam Studio’s webcam stopped working. The monitor still shows the picture, but the video recording simply doesn’t work. I’ve tried different ways of resetting it, checking for updates, making sure Windows is updated, but nothing works. I’ve googled the problem, but nothing comes up. Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue?
Matthew AdamsWindow of Windows and software
Matthew is a freelancer and has written numerous articles on various technology-related topics. His main specialization is the Windows operating system and everything related to it. He’s passionate about… Read more
- Issues that can prevent LifeCam Studio from working include faulty USB ports, outdated drivers, and camera settings.
- To resolve this issue, some users may need to change some camera settings of Windows 10.
- To solve this problem with Microsoft LifeCam, it is also advisable to change port connections and disconnect other devices.
- Note that programs for troubleshooting hardware problems and updating drivers can also be useful.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems:
This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which contains a patented technology (patent available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
LifeCam Studio is a webcam from Microsoft for Windows PCs. Since it is a Microsoft camera, users expect it to work well with Windows platforms.
However, many users have reported on Microsoft’s support forum that they need a fix for LifeCam Studio not working on Windows 10.
If this is also your case, you can be sure that there are several solutions that you can apply. Take a closer look at the following tips.
How do I fix a broken LifeCam Studio webcam?
1. Updating the computer’s USB port and camera drivers
We recommend that you check your computer with a driver update program to detect outdated or faulty USB or webcam drivers.
The Driver Update Utility shows you all the devices for which you need to update the drivers. Then quickly update the device drivers with the driver updater.
drivers are essential for your PC and all the programs you use every day. If you want to avoid crashes, hangs, errors, delays or other problems, you need to keep it up-to-date. The constant search for driver updates takes time. Fortunately, you can use an automated solution that safely checks for new updates and easily applies them, which is why we highly recommend DriverFix:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Start the application.
- Wait until DriverFix has detected all defective drivers.
- Now the program will show all drivers that have problems, and you just need to select the one you want to fix.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the latest drivers.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer be an issue when you download and start using this powerful software today.
Denial: This program must be upgraded from the free version to perform specific actions.
2. Troubleshooting equipment and devices
- First, make sure your LifeCam Studio is connected to your computer.
- Press the key combination Windows + S to open the search window.
- Type cmd in the search program.
- In the search function, click on Command Prompt.
- Then type this command and press Enter: msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- In Hardware and Device Troubleshooting, click Advanced to select the Automatically apply repair check box.
- Select the Next button to resolve the hardware issues.
3. Connecting the LifeCam to various USB ports
Your camera may work properly if connected to a different USB port. Try connecting the Lifecam to other USB ports on the computer.
Also make sure that you connect the Lifecam directly to your computer without using a USB hub. Also disconnect any USB devices that are not needed.
The mouse is a notable exception, but be sure to disable things like external hard drives, USB hubs, etc.
4. Make sure the LifeCam is turned on
- Right-click on the Start button and select the Device Manager shortcut from the menu.
- Then click the View menu.
- Select the Show hidden devices option.
- Double-click the Imaging Devices category, which usually contains Microsoft LifeCam Studio cameras. However, double-click the Camera category if you cannot find it under Imaging Devices.
- Then right-click on the LifeCam and select Enable Device if it is disabled.
5. Remove the LifeCam to reinstall it
- Open the Device Manager window as described in the previous step.
- On the View menu, choose Show hidden devices.
- Find your LifeCam under Imaging Devices or Camera.
- Right-click the LifeCam device and select Uninstall Device. If there are multiple LifeCam devices listed, remove them all.
- Then restart Windows and connect the LifeCam to the computer to reinstall it.
6. Computer Check camera settings in Windows 10
- To access the settings, press the Windows and I keys simultaneously.
- Click on Privacy in the settings.
- Select the Camera tab, as shown below.
- Enable the Allow applications to access the camera option if it is disabled.
- Also, enable the listed camera applications that you plan to use with LifeCam Studio.
7. Reinstalling Skype
- Open the settings window.
- Then click on Apps to open the Settings tab, as shown below.
- Select the Skype application from the list.
- Click the Delete option.
- Then select Uninstall again to confirm.
- Restart Windows 10 after removing Skype.
- On the download page for this application, click the Download Skype for Windows button.
- Reinstall Skype using the installer you just downloaded.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
You can remove Skype more thoroughly with third-party uninstallers. Many third-party uninstallers will remove the software and all remaining files for you, without leaving any residue.
⇒ Get IObit Uninstaller
This authorization is intended to rectify a situation where LifeCam Studios does not work with Skype.
8. Editing the register
- For this accessory, you must first run Run with the key combination Windows + R.
- To open the registry editor, type Run and press Enter: regedit
- Open this key in the registry editor: ComputerNCeY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWOW6432MicrosoftWindows Media FoundationPlatform
- Then right-click on the empty field on the right side of the registry editor and select New > DWORD Value (32-bit). Then enter EnableFrameServerMode as the name of the new DWORD.
- Open this registry key in the : ComputerNCeY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows Media FoundationPlatform
- Then right-click in the right half of the registry editor (which contains the platform keyring) and select New and DWORD. Name the DWORD EnableFrameServerMode.
- Restart the desktop or laptop computer.
This solution is mainly for users who need to repair LifeCam Studio webcams after Windows 10 build updates damaged them.
Originally, it was a fix for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update that breaks webcams. Users have confirmed that this resolution can resolve issues with LifeCam Studio.
9. Windows 10 Update
- Start the Settings program by clicking its button on the Start menu.
- Select Update & Security to open the tab shown in the following screenshot.
- If there are any updates available, you can click Install Now to update Windows 10.
- Click Check for updates if you don’t see any pending updates in the settings.
- Click the View Additional Updates button to view additional driver updates, as shown below.
- Select the optional driver updates from the list and click on the Download and install option.
- It is also recommended to update Windows 10 to the latest version. Select Download and install the Windows 10 version update, if available.
The above solutions may be enough to resolve the LifeCam Studio webcam issue for most users. If these solutions are not sufficient, you can contact a support representative through the Microsoft Contact page for additional troubleshooting suggestions.
And if you still think the problem is driver-related, check out this guide on Microsoft LifeCam software and drivers.
Hardware troubleshooting can also be useful to fix LifeCams that don’t work on Windows 10. Let us know in the comments below which method worked for you.
Is there a problem? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Was this page helpful? Thank you.
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Take part in the discussionLifeCam Studio webcam not working in Windows 10. Read more about microsoft lifecam not detected and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use Microsoft LifeCam on Windows 10?
To use the Microsoft LifeCam on Windows 10, you need to install the Microsoft LifeCam driver.
Does LifeCam studio work with Windows 10?
LifeCam studio works with Windows 10.
Why is my Microsoft LifeCam not working?
A Microsoft LifeCam is not working because it is not plugged in.
Feedback,microsoft lifecam windows 10microsoft lifecam not working windows 10lifecam studio windows 10microsoft lifecam softwaremicrosoft lifecam not detectedlifecam not working windows 7,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,Microsoft LifeCam HD‑3000,Microsoft LifeCam HD‑5000,Microsoft LifeCam Studio,Microsoft LifeCam HD‑6000,Microsoft LifeCam Cinema,Microsoft LifeCam HD‑5001,See more,microsoft lifecam windows 10,microsoft lifecam not working windows 10,lifecam studio windows 10,microsoft lifecam software,microsoft lifecam not detected,microsoft lifecam cinema 720p hd webcam driver windows 10,microsoft lifecam software not detecting camera,lifecam not working windows 7